This is a step-by-step how-to manual for the serious knife maker. Photographs clearly illustrate the techniques, as the authors show several different ways to make knives. Whether you prefer to shape blades by stock removal, cutting, grinding, or forging, you will see clever ideas that will speed your work.
Chapters include making leather sheaths, and special methods to achieve a high gloss finish without deep scratches. The authors share their favorite sources of steel, handle material, and tempering.
Soft cover volume of 182 pages, in full size 8-1/2 x 11″ format, containing 448 close-up photographs of hand made knives, shop work, setups, special tools, and knife making in progress.
- A History of Handmade Knives
- Safety Starts with your State of Mind
- How to Make a Knife by the Stock Removal Method
- Making a Sheath
- Making a Knife at the Moran Forge
- Alternative Sheath-Making Method
- How to Make a Knife with Hand Tools
- Flat Grinding
- Soldering the Guard
- Solderless Guard
- Hidden Tang
- Applying Scale Handles
- Mirror Polishing
- Knife Design
- Source of Services and Materials